Wednesday, November 19, 2008

thoughts on week 12

Finally, an article that I knew all about the topic at hand. It was interesting to read about the history of a blog. I thought it was a little newer than it was, but then again, there are many things that surprise me. The popularity of a blog is definitely coming around. I had heard of them before this class, but had never used one. Since the beginning of class, I have had the experience of working with three now. They are a little easier to manage than email, but sometimes I forget to check them, whereas I check my email daily, if not several times a day. Then again, perhaps it is just a habit that I got into and could do so with a blog.

Wikis, on the other hand, I have not had the privilege of using. I mean, I have read information on wikipedia and stuff, but have never added any information to one. The thought is good, but it seems to me that it is very similar to a blog.

Folksonomy. Fun word.

Tagging is a good idea and I like that it would be saved on the Internet. I just had a similar problem at work. Not worrying about where I had saved something from, but I had all my favorites saved on my work computer and then the server crashed and I lost everything. I had to go back and try to remember what I had on there. It would have been much easier to have gone online to locate them.

It was interesting to hear the video on Wikipedia. I had always liked to use Wikipedia, but I wasn’t sure of the authenticity. I mean, if everyone has access to edit it at any time, couldn’t I get on and put some type of nonsense answer under a topic? I liked that they could see what was changed when questioning a change on the page. Especially when someone edits anonymously.

No comments: