Wednesday, November 12, 2008

thoughts on week 11

I had no idea that so much work went into searching for information. I mean, I knew that it had to be super-tricky because if it weren’t, then I wouldn’t get 8 bazillion results to my searches. But the whole idea of crawlers was kind of interesting. There are so many intricate steps involved in, what seems to us common-folk a split second, searching through the almost infinite amount of work out there. I guess I’ll relax a little more the next time the server crashes at work.

So let me see if this is correct…an indexer is a person who scans documents for keywords? What kind of fun s that? Wait, is an indexer even a person? After reading a little farther, I’m thinking not. And what does eigenvector even mean? Another point I think is funny is that you can have 2.3 words. It’s like the average family has 2.5 kinds. I want to see that half a kid! I like it when search engines sort by relevance. Especially when they give you the percentage that It meets your search. You never think about someone (or something) putting all the information from, like, a Google search, in order of relevance. I’ll add that to the list of jobs I have realized I don’t want since starting this class.

I also liked the sheet music consortium. I think it works well that a small number of libraries take on a particular aspect. Maybe if everything was broken down that way, people wouldn’t get overloaded with crazy work. I also liked that they have a plan for future improvements. If they know what still needs to be done, it’s good to put in the plan. I think many programs wait to see what happens, then when it “breaks” they have to figure out how to fix it. If you know what the expectations are ahead of time, it may turn out not so messy in the end.

The analogy of the ocean was a very good way to describe the Deep Web. I am a visual learner, and to have something to compare a new idea to makes that idea easier for me to understand. The Deep Web makes a lot of sense. If you think about it, when you do a search, you look at the first few responses, maybe even the first few pages. But who really goes through all the results?

1 comment:

Jenelle said...

A few students were commenting on my page about the Deep Web. I thought it would be good to pass along a few things that they mentioned. One, they mentioned that the search engine, BrightPlanet has a service fee... and also that the deep web doesn't seem to be as deep as it was in 2001 (when the article was published) and that Google may give results from the deep web (in it's 2001 sense).